Friday 17 April 2015

Critical feedback on Peer and Tutor Review

Throughout the semester in ES1102, we had many essay writing assignments. The tutor and peer feedback came hand in hand. We are supposed to read and analyse our peers essay in order to give constructive feedback on their grammar, organization and the main points of their essays. However it’s not only about giving feedback, each of us also received a fair share of feedback.

In the beginning I thought the system was a waste of time and useless. On the contrary, the feedback system was not as time consuming as we expected as we are provided with the guidelines and outlines. This was incredibly helpful as it eliminated most of the brainstorming and it prevented us from missing out any topics by letting us know what we are supposed to look out for. I believe this would be incredibly useful when I write my final paper at the end of the semester, as I am better equipped to spot my own mistakes when I review my paper before submission due to the amount of practice we had throughout the class.

While giving and receiving feedback from my peers, I was able to gather the opinions from different people not only from the Mr Blackstone. And by doing so, it provided me with different perspectives to the same essay such as how we could better formulate our thesis statement or how we could have phrased the same point better. In a way it gave us more opportunity to learn compared to writing and reflecting on just our paper.

The process might not be as enjoyable as some other modules that I have taken but Mr Blackstone really made learning English more bearable that I imagined.  He made us understand why is writing academically important to us, especially when are we expected to write a lot during our university career. And when we give feedback on our peers view on their English learning journey, it gave us a feeling of comradely in the class which really made this class enjoyable. Which I felt was one of the perks of having the peer and tutor feedback system.


Even though ES1102 is an ungraded module, I am glad I took it seriously as the skills that were obtained from the peer and tutor review is applicable to my other elective modules such as sociology and public speaking which I am taking this semester.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Zhengguang, for this comprehensive, well focused reflection. You start by contextualizing the writing assignments and explaining how these and feedback go "hand in hand." Then you steer the discussion toward peer and tutor feedback, while expressing your opinion with clarity.

    I especially like this bit: "While giving and receiving feedback from my peers, I was able to gather the opinions from different people not only from the Mr Blackstone. And by doing so, it provided me with different perspectives to the same essay such as how we could better formulate our thesis statement or how we could have phrased the same point better. In a way it gave us more opportunity to learn compared to writing and reflecting on just our paper." That is very insightful.

    I also appreciate how you have given some thought to how all of this review stuff might impact your other concurrent writing, but I would have like to read something about what you will do in the way of "peer feedback" in the future. Good luck with that, and all the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These feedbacks are really important as how much useful they are on their professions and people would hire them then. useful info that helps me a lot on my academic papers writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really important part of our life as being a tutor and for that click here and we had so many of responsibilities and this place will help out that way to click here

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really tough to measure these two things with the same way as they are differents. check out the service and our sample on rephrasing service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actuall such kind of situation is be more educational for every one. I hope they also learn a lesson from those are so difficult. www.casestudyformat.net/good-psychology-case-study-examples/ also give us more tips about this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The five things that you have made reference to in your records are so impacted to some degree educational. I for the most part need to know https://www.onlineparaphrase.net/our-online-paraphrasing-service/ site kind of the information yet your information I know it already.

    ReplyDelete